Sunday, March 1, 2009

landline phone

The only time I've ever had a landline phone is was when it came with internet access. First in my trailer with a 33k modem (that's a frightening thought). And then later with DSL. I never really used the landlines when I had them.

I thought of this because I was talking to Leah tonight. We were employing multiple modes of communication: phone then skype - chat and voice, plus some emoticon wars ;-) Part of the time we were just listening to each other type to one another. It's kind of like talking is one type of conversation and writing is another. 

At some point it came up that we started talking on the phone around 2002-2003. Which in retrospect is kind of interesting since we met in 1994. So we knew each other for 8 years before we started talking on the phone. 

We trained together for a year and a half but didn't really talk. We only started talking the last day before she left for school. Then we wrote a few letters and started emailing. Ok, I did most of the emailing. But then she does most of the calling, so I think we're even. 

So now we've been talking on the phone for the last 6 or 7 years with varying degrees of frequency (or lack thereof). But as for face to face time in the last 12 years, I'm not even sure if it would even add up to a month worth of days.


Tonight we made fun plans for the future. Last wednesday we shared our day over txt and voicemail. It's interesting to share your experiences with people who knew you back when. New people just don't quite get it.

1 comment:

ben herrera said...

aint that the truth! Hi Annie!! it was so good to toalk to ya after a ton of years. I miss you. we had sooo much fun growing up!

-ben