Tuesday, July 29, 2008

late night php

Sometimes staying up till 4:30 in the morning doing programming just works. If I could stay up that late and work everynight I think I'd be much more productive. It's easier to work at night when no one's interupting you.

Sunday night I stayed up and finished a content management system in PHP. Getting started was the hardest since I didn't know any PHP when I started. But once I got past the admin login I'd made enough mistakes that the rest was a lot easier.

In general I think I prefer trial/error to learning things in a classroom. In the classroom there's a lot of stuff you learn that you don't need. Lots of time spent on waiting for other people. You could also say I wasted a lot of time firguring out how to fix mistakes I'd made when learning it on my own. But I remember that information a lot better than I'd remember a list of stuff on a piece of paper that had no real experience to back it up. So if I had the choice between a weekend class to learn what I needed to know and a weekend of figuring it out on my own, I'd do it my way. Besides, where would I find a class for exactly what I wanted. That's the beauty of doing it yourself. You get what you want.

And if it's part of your job and you get paid for learning it? Sounds like win win to me. And now that I know a least a little php, there's a couple other jobs out there that are waiting for me ;-)

No comments: