Monday, February 2, 2009

i made something good

I made it Friday night and several times since then. I'm not know for cooking but there's no cooking involved in this, which is why I was able to discover it. I made and sat down to eat it and was pleasantly surprised.  

Although there's no cooking involved per se, there's rice. I make the rice in a weekly batch in my rice cooker, so it's always ready to go. I have to say this has been one of my better purchases. The problem with cooking rice on the stove - or, really, my problem with cooking rice on the stove is that I would forget about it. I would go back to my computer and then not remember I was cooking it till I could smell it, which meant it was burned on the bottom (burnt rice smells like popcorn). So thanks to the rice cooker, there's no more burned rice.

So here's what I made. It's kind of a enchilada bowl kinda thing.

So I take a bowl and put a corn tortilla on the bottom, then grate a little cheese over it, then another tortilla and a little more cheese. Then put some rice on it and some beans.  Microwave that for two minutes. 

In the meantime cut up some tomato and get the following out of the fridge: two kinds of salsa (if you like hot the stuff from cafe yumm is awesome) and sour cream. When it's done in the micro, just throw a little of everything on top and mix it up. It helps to cut the tortillas with your fork, which is easy to do after they've been zapped.

This is great if you're lazy and like mexican food. 

When you never cook, anything you make seems pretty impressive. So while this may not sound like anything to some people. It was very exciting for me.

No comments: