Saturday, December 13, 2008

about last night

This one is from today.

Last night was pretty amazing. Three things coming together: full moon - at it's brightest due to it being closest to earth - and first snow. That doesn't happen very often. Perfect conditions.

When I first got up there the moon was so bright that I could turn off my headlights and drive... at night, in the dark, out of the city. So the only light was the moon, big and bright and right overhead. No real clouds, just smoke-like fog, light and fast, moving just over the trees past the moon. And stars, lots of stars. It was very clear out.

There was already a thin layer of snow on the ground and a few flakes were falling. I got out and stood in the cold air stairing up at the moon for a few minutes. As I drove out further the snow clouds moved in. On my way back I drove into the fog and it was like entering another world -snow flakes flying at me, illuminated by the headlights. It makes it seem like you're driving in space with stars flying past you.

1 comment:

Devin and Samantha said...

Wow! Love the pic. It's beautiful over there! :) My hubby would be jealous, he loves the snow since he's from Minnesota. We are totally going up there next winter to see his family.