Saturday, December 27, 2008

my car

How and why anyone would be sentimental over the hood of a car is beyond me.  Even though, well... apparently it is me.

I was driving earlier today and I realized that I missed the old hood, even though it is broken, with a big gaping hold in the middle. It's not like I was going to keep driving it around like that,  but for some reason the new hood feels different, like it doesn't fit right or doesn't belong, which, of course, doesn't make any sense at all. All the hoods come from the same mold. This one just has different paint. Objectively speaking this one is better than the old one beacuse I'd driven off paved roads into gravel and cracked the old one on the bottom... several times. This one is spotless. But still, it feels like it's not the right one. This is so stupid (but also kind of interesting). I think I just feel like I have history with the old hood. We've been 43,000 miles together. (This is really embarassing.)  Hopefully the new hood will last longer.


I've never been in a car crash but I've had...
  • 67 VW Bug: a wheel fall off my car while I was driving it (kind of funny)
  • 85 Porche 944: the brakes go out (drove back home before they quit altogether)
  • 89 Mazda B2000: someone cracks my window to break in to the truck (took the quarters, left the cash?)
  • 2000 VW Beetle: a palm frond fell on my windshield durring a storm and cracked it
  • 2000 VW Beetle: a large (12 foot) tree branch fell on the right side of my car and crush the rear quarter panel (and the body shop broke the window while "fixing" the rest)
  • 05 Lotus Elise: small something (stone, pebble?) flys through my drivers side window, right past my ear and obliterates the rear glass.
  • 05 Lotus Elise: someone backs their trailer hitch through my hood

No comments: