Friday, November 21, 2008

Between Two Worlds

Just finished reading this book: Between Two Worlds
"When I was growing up in Iraq, people used to refer to me as the 'pilot’s daughter'. I hated that term. I still do. It stole from me my very identity, everything I wanted to be. It defined me in terms of my father, and defined him, in turn, by his passenger: a despot millions of Iraqis feared … Because of a chain of events Saddam Hussein set in motion, I found myself stranded in America by the Gulf War. For very good reasons, I had come to trust no one, not even my mother. I had just turned twenty-one, and I found myself all alone for the first time as fresh new fears were heaped on all the old ones. I did what I needed to survive, though it was not nearly as simple as I make it sound: I erased the pilot’s daughter and started over. I creased my life down the middle like the spine of a book when you bend the pages back very hard. You could read the first half of the book of my life, then read the second half, and not know they were lived by the same person. I wanted it that way. I needed it that way."
It was really interesting to learn how things were in Iraq from this unique perspective. 

No comments: