Tuesday, November 18, 2008

How can it be?

I got the Bronco fixed last month but hadn't really driven it much since then (once, and it was only because I felt like it was a dog that needed a walk).  Then I took it out this weekend to pick up the shelf thingy from Target that I used to upgrade the big room.

I've driven it a couple times since then, for two reasons. 1) The lotus needs new tires. No really, there's spots with no rubber left. 2) I've run a few quick calculations and it's costs approximately the same to drive the Lotus or the Bronco. Why? Back to the Lotus tires - which cost more per mile than gas does. Really.  Actually it's a tiny, tiny bit cheaper to drive the Bronco!!!!!!!!!!! Although clearly the Lotus is more fun... unless you're driving in the snow or trying to tow something or want to carry more than two people, then the Bronco wins ;-)

Here are the stats for 42k Miles on each vehicle:

'05 Lotus Elise
4000 - Tires (one set of front and 5 sets of rear)
3885 - Gas
840 - Oil Changes

Total: $8,725 (or 21 cents per mile)

'92 Ford Bronco
445 - Tires (one set)
7560 - Gas
168 - Oil Changes

Total: $8,173 (or 19 cents per mile)

Anyway, I now feel better about driving the Bronco around because it's not actually costing my any more than driving the Lotus (sadly). Although I'm currently thinking about trying some new tires on the Lotus. It is winter after all so now would be a good time. Less chance of being disappointed considering whatever cheaper tire I get will probably inhibit performance (read: fun). Blah. But I can't go tearing around the corners on the tires I have now in the winter either. I actually got stuck in leaves the other day. The tires were spinning like I was stuck in the mud and I had to gently coerce the car into getting a grip.

No comments: