Saturday, November 22, 2008

"Choice" of tires

I was thinking about choices after listening to that podcast, specifically the experiment where they had people choose a free poster to take home. There was a group of people that just choose a poster and took it home. And there was a group who had to choose a poster, tell why they choose it and then take it home. Then they were asked 6 months later how they felt about the poster. The people who had to tell why they choose a specific poster ended up not liking the poster they choose. People who didn't have to say why ended up liking their choice.

So did people just choose something that would be easier to explain? Weird how having to explain ourselves can make us change our choice. Makes a good case for anonymous voting.

Then there was the apple example where having too much data made choosing a type of apple more confusing the longer you took to choose. 

This is how I felt about my tire choices. Lots of opinions, lots of varaibles, lots of recomendations... but somehow not very helpful, mainly because everyone's situation is differnent. How much you wanted to pay, how hard you were going to drive the car, road conditions. Everyone's situation was different. The best choice as far as fun factor is not the same as the best choice for road conditions (wet & cold) and both of those have the price/value factor on top of them, which is very subjective.

I looked at lots of threads (www.lotustalk.com) about what people thought about various tires, but all it really told me is that I would have to decide for myself because everyone's situation is a little different.  

The tires I got were on the shortlist of tires that some people liked. There was really too much information, which in a way was not enough information. Weird how that works out. So in the end I kind of just went with what was convenient. These these tires happened to be available in the sizes I needed (some other options you have to go with different sizes than the wheels were made for because they just don't make them in that specific size) and they happend to be in stock, so I could just go down and get them installed right away.

Right away sounded good because the chord was showing though on one of the tires so I couldn't really drive it around till I got new ones. And while the bronco is a fun change of pace for a while, it's not that fun. I can feel the weight of it with every move (it does weigh more than twice as much as the Lotus).  Accelerating - slow, trying to drive up a hill - slow, trying to stop - slow, trying to go around corners - slow.  Slow, slow, slow.  I'm tired of slow.

I took the Lotus for a drive today (awesome clounds) and it was soooooooooooooo much more satisfying. Yeah for the Lotus. Best purchase ever.

No comments: