Tuesday, August 12, 2008

sports and politics

In watching the Olympics I've seen several news reports on different political factors that have influenced the Olympics in the past. I remember watching the 1984 Olympics on TV. We were staying at someone's house at the time. I was young so I don't know why. I do rememer that they had a washing maching that sounded like a spaceship taking off durring the spin cycle. But I was only 8 so I didn't know any of the political stuff. I just thought watching the Olympics was cool. Interesting to hear now about how China made their return that year based on a certain envoy going there and convincing them not to boycott the games with the Soviets.

I was excited for the US Men's gymnastic team to get the bronze because it was such an interesting story with all the alternates that got put in after the main guys dropped out. It was really great to see a lot of them do their best when the commentators seems like it wasn't necessarily expected from them. I think they did a good job of holding it together despite a lot of changes.

But actually I think I was more excited for the Chineese Men's gymnastic team to get the Gold. They looked like they had worked really hard and I was excited for them. It was great to see them doing such solid routines and also just seeing them get the Gold while the games were held in China. This clearly meant a lot to them. So, Go China! Congratulations.

No comments: