Wednesday, January 28, 2009

homework - day 3

since you asked for an update... I didn't call anyone yesterday. we'll come to think of it I think I attempted one call but it wasn't picked up (you know who you are ;-|   lol). but I was quite social in person that day. while at bjj I gave someone my contact info and apparently looked friendly enough that someone else came up and started talking to me. Which maybe doesn't sound like much but I often avoid eye contact with people which gives the impression that you want to be left alone. I'm very good at being ignored. At this point it's more of a habit than a conscious decision. Probably just thinking about my homework made me conscious enough that I looked more open. 

thinking about things too much and forcing yourself just makes them hard. and can make you self-conscious and weird feeling.  so that's why i didn't force it yesterday, but it doesn't mean I gave up either. I think I had a lot of good social interaction yesterday. and today I called two people!! actually, I called 4 people and left messages with two and talked to two. Both of the calls where I talked to people are instances where I definitely wouldn't have before. But since it was "homework" it seemed like a good time to practice. And it wasn't that hard, or awkward or anything like that. 

Oh and called I talked to one other person too. But that call had a purpose so it doesn't count as much. But it still does count cause I often hate calling people even when I have a purpose. Mostly when I don't know them that well - which is usually.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Being social in person should count for something, at least for half credit, in my opinion.

For me, calling is VERY hard because I never know what the other person is doing at the moment I call. Am I interupting dinner? Am I disturbing someone during a nap or a really good TV program?? Yeah, those things do run through my head before I pick up the phone to call someone I don't know too well!
At least in person I feel that I can judge the situation better (plus I know I'm not interrupting a nap!) so it's a bit easier for me.
Thanks for the update on your homework!