Tuesday, January 20, 2009

retelling stories

I woke up from a dream this morning where I was talking to someone while babysitting (or something strange like that. babysitting? weird dreams lately.)  

In the dream I was retelling a story I heard in ASL class last night. That in itself is weird. I've never told a story while dreaming before. Come to think of it, I don't do a lot of talking in my dreams... weird, never thought about that. I don't really talk at all in my dreams.  I can't think of one I've ever had where there's any talking. Strange. 

Ok, so I did have that dream the other night where I was punching people that said things I didn't like. But the thing is, there were no words, like spoken words. I didn't hear anything. I don't think I have sound in my dreams. Or maybe I just can't remember it? 

Maybe I will remember it in some future dream now that I've thought about it.  

Even in this dream I know I was "talking" to the person but there was no words.  It's more like you just look at them and they know what your'e saying.

Anyway, here's the story. Apparently it made some sort of impression on me because it made it into my dream.

The story is about this Russian guy who came to the US and he didn't know that much American sign but was fluent in Russian sign. He meant to say, "I'm from Moscow". But apparently the Russian sign for "Moscow" is the same as the American sign for "menstruate" - lol!

It was even funnier when the teacher told the story because there was this deaf guy helping her out for the day and he saw her sign it before she said what it meant to the rest of us. Right as she signed it he turned his head away and did one of those half-laugh, half-embarrassed sounds. Which created an excellent effect in the story telling, making us all wonder what she was about to say.

No comments: