Wednesday, January 7, 2009

AAA strikes again

Nothing like locking your keys in the car to make you appreciate AAA service.  Second time I've called them in the last few months. It was for towing last time, not keys. It's come in handy ever since I got it for the moving truck discount when I came up to Oregon.

In this case we were just arriving back to Eugene and we stopped at 7 Eleven for some Gatorade. Mel was driving and I got out of the car and pushed the door locks from habit.  I thought for a second before I shut the door (maybe I shouldn't?) , but figured she wouldn't close her door with the keys still in the car. I thought wrong.

Then I turn around and the car in the parking spot next to us was sliding back out of it's parking space due to the slope in the parking lot. The car was on, the radio was on, the parking brake was off and the driver was inside. I stepped behind the car and held it in place long enough for Melissa to retrieve the driver from the store so they could pull the car back into it's space. They looked a little embarassed. I thought it was funny. I've never held a car in place before. The wheel was turned so it was kind of backing out behind the bronco, which clearly wasn't going anywhere since we were now locked out. I didn't really need to stand behind the car. It probably would have stopped somewhere in the middle of the parking lot. But I just figured it was better off 1/4 of the way in the space than in the middle of the parking lot.

So we went in and got the Gatorade. We both had our wallets but our phones were in the Bronco. Luckily we were just 4 blocks from her house so we walk/jogged back and I used Jake's phone to call AAA.  It didn't take too long for them to get there and open it up.

AAA is convenient and, at least for me, has been an overall moneysaver.

No comments: